Ask the Specialist

Capital Fortune are asked to help clients on a daily basis, whether it be with a new purchase, remortgage, buy to let or something more unusual. We typically help clients with non-standard, unusual or complex situations and have created this section to allow you to ask our team of specialists any question you may have. Feel free to browse the list of questions and responses. Please note we provide information only in response to the questions posed and not advice. If you do seek advice then feel free to speak to one of our Advisers by calling 0207 710 0400 or send us an enquiry online and one of our Advisers will call you back.

Purchasing a Property Renting Outbuildings

on 09 January 2017.


We are in the process of purchasing a house that has a summer house at the bottom of the garden. The current owner is renting the house together with the summer house at the moment. Nationwide have just informed us that though we are purchasing the house for us to live in, we will not be able to continue to let out the summer house independently moving forward. We would ideally like to do this. Can you lend in these circumstances or is there a lender out there that will?



Ask the Specialist response:

Hi Jennifer

Thanks for your enquiry.

Capital Fortune have regularly assisted clients in the past looking to purchase properties with one or several outbuildings, wishing to let these out. Many lenders are unwilling to assist in this situation, however, providing that you have sufficient income and you occupy more than 40% of the overall land Capital Fortune have successfully helped clients in exactly this scenario historically.

Given your specific circumstances, I'd recommend speaking to one of our Advisers on 02077100400 or send us an enquiry online and one of our Advisers will call you back.

Capital Fortune