Ask the Specialist

Capital Fortune are asked to help clients on a daily basis, whether it be with a new purchase, remortgage, buy to let or something more unusual. We typically help clients with non-standard, unusual or complex situations and have created this section to allow you to ask our team of specialists any question you may have. Feel free to browse the list of questions and responses. Please note we provide information only in response to the questions posed and not advice. If you do seek advice then feel free to speak to one of our Advisers by calling 0207 710 0400 or send us an enquiry online and one of our Advisers will call you back.

Need to Move from Consent to Lease

on 10 February 2017.


I currently have a mortgage with Bank of Scotland on a consent to lease basis. I need to move to a buy to let mortgage. However I am encountering lots of obstacles. Is this something you can help with?

Thanks, Sabah


Ask the Specialist response:

Hi Sabah, 

Thanks for your enquiry.

Capital Fortune assist a number of clients that have had consent to lease with their existing mortgage provider and now need to move to a mortgage lender who are prepared to allow them to let a property in the longer term.

Some mortgage lenders within the market will only lend to experienced landlords and unless you have a current buy to let mortgage they would deem you to be a first time landlord. A lot of clients often tell us that they are also under a lot of duress and pressure by their existing mortgage lender as they undertake the change as well.

If you just wish to obtain an indication on whether we are able to assist you, given your specific circumstances, I'd recommend speaking to one of our Advisers on 02077100400 or send us an enquiry online and one of our Advisers will call you back.

Capital Fortune