Ask the Specialist

Capital Fortune are asked to help clients on a daily basis, whether it be with a new purchase, remortgage, buy to let or something more unusual. We typically help clients with non-standard, unusual or complex situations and have created this section to allow you to ask our team of specialists any question you may have. Feel free to browse the list of questions and responses. Please note we provide information only in response to the questions posed and not advice. If you do seek advice then feel free to speak to one of our Advisers by calling 0207 710 0400 or send us an enquiry online and one of our Advisers will call you back.

Non Standard Construction Council Flat

on 12 October 2016.


I am looking to purchase my Council Flat through Haringey Council. The problem is that it's a concrete block building but not a high rise. It's a 2 bedroom second floor flat. Are there lenders out there for that type of property ? I am looking for a 50k mortgage.

I'm hoping that you could help. Maria

Ask the Specialist response:

Hi Maria, 

Many thanks for getting in contact.

Clients that we successfully assist often tell us that they encounter difficulties obtaining mortgages on a council property, especially if it is of non standard construction or if the building is a concrete block.

Often the High Street are unwilling to assist on some properties and as a result we regularly help clients obtain funding on properties of this nature. 

It may be that the interest rate that you qualify for is not as attractive as a typical High Street lender, however, if it means that you are able to purchase the property clients we successfully assist are happy to pay a small premium.

If you just wish to obtain an indication on whether we are able to assist you, given your specific circumstances, I'd recommend speaking to one of our Advisers on 02077100400 or send us an enquiry online and one of our Advisers will call you back.

Capital Fortune