Ask the Specialist

Capital Fortune are asked to help clients on a daily basis, whether it be with a new purchase, remortgage, buy to let or something more unusual. We typically help clients with non-standard, unusual or complex situations and have created this section to allow you to ask our team of specialists any question you may have. Feel free to browse the list of questions and responses. Please note we provide information only in response to the questions posed and not advice. If you do seek advice then feel free to speak to one of our Advisers by calling 0207 710 0400 or send us an enquiry online and one of our Advisers will call you back.

Ask the Specialist

Need to Move from Consent to Lease

on Friday, 10 February 2017 10:50.


I currently have a mortgage with Bank of Scotland on a consent to lease basis. I need to move to a buy to let mortgage. However I am encountering lots of obstacles. Is this something you can help with?

Thanks, Sabah


Ask the Specialist response:

Hi Sabah, 

Thanks for your enquiry.

Capital Fortune assist a number of clients that have had consent to lease with their existing mortgage provider and now need to move to a mortgage lender who are prepared to allow them to let a property in the longer term.

Some mortgage lenders within the market will only lend to experienced landlords and unless you have a current buy to let mortgage they would deem you to be a first time landlord. A lot of clients often tell us that they are also under a lot of duress and pressure by their existing mortgage lender as they undertake the change as well.

If you just wish to obtain an indication on whether we are able to assist you, given your specific circumstances, I'd recommend speaking to one of our Advisers on 02077100400 or send us an enquiry online and one of our Advisers will call you back.

Capital Fortune

Residential Mortgage Having Completed an IVA

on Tuesday, 07 February 2017 20:00.


I have a buy to let mortgage and we are looking to re-mortgage to a residential mortgage to enable us to live in the property. The problem is I have just completed an IVA. My current provider does not do residential mortgages. Will I be able to obtain a high street mortgage?


Property Currently Owned By BVI Company

on Tuesday, 07 February 2017 20:58.


I am a self employed property professional. My main residence was purchased via BVI company and I need to now sell it from the company to my self with a transfer of equity. It is worth £1.2m and I have a mortgage on it for £485,000. I have an excellent credit file. My difficulty is my income. I have reported net profit of £101,365 however this is made up of a capital gain added to my income from selling a london property. I have £20,530 retained profit from a uk Ltd co that can be added. so far underwriters won't take my income into account. Do you have a lender that will take it or base their decision on my bank statements. My future income is good as I have started a new property business with £160,000 going through my bank account.

Many thanks, Barry



Ask the Specialist response:


Thanks for your email.

Although it is not unusual for us to have assisted clients who have owned properties via a company in the British Virgin Islands, your circumstances may be challenging.

Typically, we tend to find that although self employed property professionals declare their tax position, we can only utilise the net profits from the company rather than any capital gains for mortgage affordability purposes. My greatest fear is that the only tax forms we can use one's income from will be an SA302 rather than SA105 or SA108s which we sometimes find property developers use.

It may be worth giving a call to one of our advisers on 020 77 100 400 if you are able to meet the above criteria and one of our specialist advisers will be able to outline what you may or may not be able to achieve.

Capital Fortune

100% Deposit Mortgage

on Monday, 30 January 2017 13:49.


I have very good credit, but just go out of a expensive separation, I'm renting, would like to buy but lack the deposit, is there a lender that offers 100% mortgages? My scenario is that I can't lean on anyone to borrow the deposit. but I have no debts no CCJ, no defaults, n late payment - faultless credit rating & conduct.


Expat In Australia Wishing To Buy In UK

on Monday, 23 January 2017 22:17.


I have just inherited some money in the UK. I am currently living in Australia and working here. I am considering buying a UK property to put this money to good use and potentially we could return in the future. Would this be something which could be considered?

Thanks, Craig

Purchasing a Property Renting Outbuildings

on Monday, 09 January 2017 21:07.


We are in the process of purchasing a house that has a summer house at the bottom of the garden. The current owner is renting the house together with the summer house at the moment. Nationwide have just informed us that though we are purchasing the house for us to live in, we will not be able to continue to let out the summer house independently moving forward. We would ideally like to do this. Can you lend in these circumstances or is there a lender out there that will?



Mortgage With 6 Late Payments

on Thursday, 05 January 2017 09:55.


I need a mortgage of about £110,000. I work and have a deposit, however, I fear banks will turn me down as I have 6 late payments on my credit file, which is no fault of my own and taking action with it, it need a mortgage in place ASAP, could you help with my matter?


Remortgage While Working in Cayman Islands

on Monday, 19 December 2016 20:33.

Hi there,

I need to re-mortgage my property in the UK. I live and work in the Cayman Islands and rent the house in the UK out to some tenants. Does this sound like something you can help with? Drew

Poor Credit During Divorce

on Thursday, 15 December 2016 18:05.


I have poor credit. I currently have a house worth £350,000 with circa £200,000 equity and wish to buy out my husband. He has no income all income is mine and is just over £30,000. Can you help? 


Guarantor Mortgage for Student Brother

on Thursday, 17 November 2016 20:41.

Hi, I have property (value at £380K) in U.K., and annual gross salary of £ 55K with an international organisation where I work since 2008. Can I use myself and my own property as guarantor for my younger brother's mortgage?

My brother is buying a one-bed room flat in London whilst he will be studying his PhD Degree in university, he is currently running a company registered in China.

Thank you for your help